Senior Engineer, Surveillance - TransAlta
Jobs / Posted 2 weeks ago / 54 views
“Powering Economies and Communities”
TransAlta owns, operates and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States and Australia, providing municipalities, industries and businesses with safe, low-cost and reliable clean electricity.
For over 100 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community-member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com
An opportunity exists to fill a new role in TransAlta’s Dam Safety Team. The Sr. Engineer, Surveillance will be accountable for the implementation of the surveillance components of TransAlta’s Dam Safety Program at its Hydro and Thermal dams in Alberta.
- Provides Senior technical review of the work completed by the Engineer’s of Record and mentorship to those Engineers
- Manages the team of EoR’s for Alberta to effectively achieve their role requirements
- Acts as the primary point of contact for regulatory reporting to the Alberta Dam Safety Regulators
- Works closely with the CDSE and Senior Risk Lead to prioritize and coordinate work across the teams including OPEX and CAPEX budgeting
- This is a ‘working supervisor’ role and the position will act as the EoR for one or more dams and as such will also have specific EoR accountabilities as below:
- Provides technical direction for the safety of one or more dams
- Implements the surveillance program for a specific dam. Assesses the actual performance against expectations, reviews and interprets construction and instrumentation performance data, and recommends changes to the design or operation to maintain the safety of the dam and compliance with regulations, guidelines and standards
- Investigates concerns raised by operations staff and reviews routine operations reporting
- Completes routine Engineering dam and public safety inspections and annual reporting
- Coordinates specialist Consultants to complete dam safety investigation and design work
- Reports incidents and any new deficiencies or non-conformances to the CDSE and Senior Engineer of Record
- Completes initial investigations of deficiencies and works with the Risk Lead to prioritize and support more detailed investigations and risk reductions projects
- Supports the Risk Lead in the assessment of risks and opportunities to reduce those risks
- Supports the Risk Lead in the completion of Dam Safety Reviews
- A degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering or related field
- Registered or eligible for registration with APEGA
- At least 15 years experience in the design, construction and monitoring of earth and concrete dams
- Thorough understanding of the Alberta Dam Safety Regulations
- In-depth technical knowledge of CDA guidelines and dam safety practice in North America and internationally
- Strong written and oral communication skills for interaction with regulatory agencies, internal management, client organizations, and engineering teams
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.